The Boaz City School System recognized its teachers of the year at the latest board of education meeting.
One teacher from each school within the Boaz School System received the honor. Recipients included Amy Creech of Boaz Elementary, Julie Gaskin of Corley Elementary, Genie Prince of Boaz Intermediate, Gavin Moy of Boaz Middle and Anita Bumgarner of Boaz High.
In addition, Creech was named the system’s elementary teacher of the year, Moy was named the secondary teacher of the year, and Bumgarner was named the district teacher of the year.
“We are so very appreciative of their hard work and dedication to our children,” Boaz Superintendent Shannon Stanley said. “They always strive to provide innovative learning opportunities to meet the needs of every student, every day. Most importantly, they have developed positive relationships with their students, parents, and peers, showing them how much they care. Our Teacher of the Year candidates are wonderful examples of the exceptional teachers we have in Boaz, and Mrs. Bumgarner will represent them well.”
In other business, the board:
• Approved accounts payable for the months of November and December 2017
• Approved payroll for the months of November and December 2017.
• Approved the employment of Skylar Baugh as BHS Varsity Boy’s Outdoor Track coach.
• Approved the employment of additional substitutes.
• Approved leaves of absence for BHS Principal Gary Minnick, CES teacher Brandy McClendon, and interim BMS Principal Dr. Lisa Barfield.
• Approved contracts for services with Matthew Remick Psychology LLC, part-time translator/instructional aide John Barnett, and Supervision of CTE/Cooperative Education Students – Eda Rutledge.
• Approved BCSS Teacher of the Year stipends.
• Approved a revised non-discrimination policy.
• Approved out-of-state travel for Boaz Middle School teachers.