To “keep it cool,” the Marshall County Commission approved the purchase of two chillers to replace the old ones at the courthouse in Guntersville during its meeting on Wednesday.
Most chillers last anywhere from 20-25 years, but Commission Chairman James Hutcheson said the two being replaced have had more than 30 years of use.
“They got old, and their compressors are worn out,” Hutcheson said. “If both of them goes down, my phone won’t stop ringing. It’s been 95 degrees, so it was time to replace them.”
Hutcheson said $218,714.58 from the County Capital Improvement Fund would be used to purchase the chillers.
In other business, the commission:
• Announced there would be an Employee Appreciation Luncheon for the county’s employees Sept. 25.
• Announced a white goods pickup and dumpster at the District 2 Shop on Monday, Sept. 16.
• Approved to award annual bids for fiscal year 2020 (FY20).
• Approved a 30-mph speed limit on Glendale Road, from Friendship Road to Mobbs School Road, in Arab — District 1.
• Approved a preliminary plat approval for Lakelands Cove Subdivision.
• Approved Windstream Agreement for internet services for the Probate Office.
• Approved the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) to apply for an Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA) Equipment Grant with no match.
• Approved the MCSO’s traffic enforcement agreement for FY20 through the North Central Alabama Highway Office.
• Approved the MCSO’s purchase of a vehicle and equipment with $39,414.31 — including $14,200 from insurance — from the County Equipment Replacement Fund.
• Approved the emergency funding for Juvenile Probation to hire a sign language interpreter for $50 per hour plus travel expenses.
• Approved the Department of Youth Services long term detention contract for FY20.
• Approved the Department of Youth Services contract for Youth Advocate Programs for $166,068.