The Marshall County Commission approved the Marshall County Emergency Management Agency (EMA) being awarded with a large grant set to fund the purchase of much needed equipment on Wednesday.
The Alabama’s Mountains, Rivers and Valleys Resource Conservation and Development Council, Inc. (AMRVRCDC) awarded the Marshall County EMA with a grant for $3,900 for the 2019 fiscal year. Director of the Marshall County EMA Anita McBurnett said the grant will allow them to purchase two mobile repeaters and two antennas. She said this equipment is part of the of the mobile communications support equipment that they are assembling to aid in providing support to the many areas in Marshall County that radio communication is nonexistent or compromised during emergencies and disasters.
“This is a tremendous help in purchasing the equipment to build out the mobile communications support unit,” McBurnett said. “We are very thankful to the [AMRVRCDC] council for this grant award, and we’ll be moving forward on acquiring the equipment quickly to provide this needed capability for our first responders.”
McBurnett said the Marshall County EMA accepted the grant award on Sept. 26 during a work session meeting.
In other business, the commission:
- Announced a two-week application period for the Alabama Mountain Lakes Tourism Association, which is a two-year term that will expire Sept. 30, 2020.
- Approved to solicit bids for printer ink.
- Approved the contract agreement with ADEM regarding scrap tire disposal.
- Failed to authorize the chairman to research a $1 million bond issue for District 3.
- Approved a crime prevention policy for any department that receives funds.
- Approved the purchase agreement with Harris Computer Systems for an accounting system.
- Approved moving funds from the salary lines to operating lines in the Sheriff and Jail budgets.
- Approved payment requests from the Sheriff’s Office for Sunbelt in the amount of $5,363.96 and for Lake City Auto in the amount of $1,012.91.
- Approved the Juvenile Probation grant from the Alabama Department of Youth Services (ALDYS) in the amount of $159, 680 with no match.
- Approved the Juvenile Probation grant from the Alabama Department of Youth Services (ALDYS) in the amount of $392,000 with no match.